Here we discuss about 108 divyadesams in Srirangam temple.
SRIRANGAM TEMPLE HIGHLIGHTS:
- It is the important temple of 108 divyadesams. God created the man in this world. It may also have various experience, satisfied and eventually attain the state of rebirth again. Our ancestors are also create the canon of “virtue, meaning, pleasure, home” for human begins. One who helps to get these four in the world is “Mahavishnu” Sri Raganathar. The lord of this temple is Sri Raganathar Sridevi with Lakshmi and Andal. Srirangam has always a have person wishes to dedicate, their lives to practice of meditation and devotion.
HISTORY OF SRIRANGAM TEMPLE:
- Thiruvarangam Aranganathar Swamy Temple is the first of 108 Vaishnava temples. “Arangam” means “island” in Tamil. Ithalam is also known as ‘Thiruvarangam’. It also dedicated to Lord Shiva on the island in the middle of the Cauvery River that flows on Srirangam. Srirangam is located in seven kilometers from Tiruchirappalli. It also surround by the water of river Cauvery on one side. And the tributary kollidum on the other side.
- The lord of this temple is called Perumal “Ranganayakar” and the mother is called “Ranganayaki”. Srirangam is famous Aranganathar Swamy Temple. It has also major pilgrimage destination for Hindus. And the largest temple in India. The Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple is compose of 7 concentric wall section and 21 towers Gopuram. The south Gopuram of the temple, also called Raja gopuram. It has 239.5 feet tall.
- The largest of these Raja gopuram, 72 meters with a height of (236 feet). It is the largest tower. They are also seven wall street’s in this temple is an saptha parakaram. This temple has seven parakaram. The seven parakaram four are inside the temple and other three are outside. They are also Uthra Street, Chitra Street and Adayavalanjan Street. The area of sriranganathar temple is 156 sq km. The Hall is build during the Vijayanagara period (1336-1565).
- There have 21 tower gateways in the Sri Ranganatha Swamy Temple. The shrine of the main gateway is 236 feet tall, the second tallest temple tower. It is also known as Thiruvarangam Tirupati, Periyakoil, Bhoologa Vaikundam and Bhogamandabam.
- Srirangam Temple is also famous for the 4,000 Divya Prabhupada written by Alwar between the 6th and 9th centuries BC. Other important sannathis in Srirangam temples other than Perumal. They are namely, Thayar sannathi, Chakkarathazwar sannathi, Udayavar sannathi, Garudalwar Sannathi, Veliandal Sannathi, and Ul Andal Sannathi. There are 53 additional small temples are upa-sannathis. This large temple are also called Srirangam.
- Srirangam Raganathar Swamy Temple is located on an area of 156 acres and 4116 meters. The temple has also 21 towers and stands at a height of 72 meters. More than a thousand devotees visit this temple daily. In the month of March alone, 10 lakhs devotees come and worship Vishnu.
- The Temple was build by Dharma Varma Chola. Then, Later Cauvery river flood destroy the temple vimanam, and later the Chola King Killivalavan also Rebuilt the temple. Chola of Thanjavur is come into scene by 9th century. It also built many important temples.
SRIRANGANATHAR HEAD SPECIAL:
- The temple is over 5000 years old and has also many special features. The temple was also renovate. And it build by several royal dynasties as “Cholas, Pandyas, Hoysalas, and Vijayanagara Emperors”. The tower of Aranganathar temple is the tallest temple. It was also build in the year 1987 by the efforts of all. This is temple that has been sung by all the Alvars. This temple that only woman of the Alvars, who was born in Srivilliputhur and called “Kotha”, united in the “Andal” arena.
- Sri Ramanujar, who came to revive the Vaishnava tradition in Temple. It has hundreds of acres halls, temples, shrines, 21 towers and 7 roundabouts. Raja gopuram is the largest gopuram in India. The temple includes over 50 shrines. These are also dedicate to Vishnu; Lakshmi. It has various Vaishnava scholars and poets. The shrines to Vishnu display his various avatars.
MANDAPAMS IN SRIRANGAM TEMPLE:
The Ranganatha Swamy Temple has many Mandapam Halls:
- Thousand pillars Mandapam is a theatre like structure. It has made from granite. It is build during the Vijayanagara rule period.
- Sesharaya Mandapam is the hall build during the Nayaka rule period. It is find on the east side of the fourth prakaram courtyard. The northern side of this hall has 40 leaping animals with riders, all carved out of monolithic pillars.
- Garuda Mandapam is name after the vahana of Vishnu, named Garuda. It is the south side of third parakaram courtyard. Inside the hall on its pillars, are portrait sculptures.
- Kili Mandapam is find inside the parakaram courtyard. It is next to the Raganathar sanctum. The walking elephant balustrades line on the steps that lead into the gathering hall. It has 17th century Hindu rulers. The hall and structural elements are also carve with animals. It also raise square platform with four carve pillars.
- Ranga Vilasa Mandapam is one of the larger halls design for large spaces, between the pillars for the pilgrim groups and families.