Here we discuss about Somnath temple.
INTRODUCTION OF SOMNATH TEMPLE:
- This is the first of the twelve Jyotirlinga sites. The phrase “Soma lingam naro thrushtva sarvababad pramuchyate” conveys its pride. It is believe that Prabhas belong to the Pattan / Devapattana region of Saurashtra in ancient times. Researchers believe that the area existed before the appearance of the Himalayas. Also that Stone Age people lived here.
- When the Indus Valley Civilization flourish, Shiva was worship as Pashupati. When the Pandavas formed the region, they named it Kusasthali. It was only later that the region was rename Suratha and Saurashtra. Once upon a time, Prabhas was a major port of international trade.
FEATURES OF SOMNATH TEMPLE:
- Prabhas has been consider as one of the most sacred sites on the west coast since time immemorial. Indra, Sun, many sages worshiped Italatai Pandavas, Krishna and Balarama. It is said that Arjunan come here on his way from Gokarna to Dwarka. Parikshit Mannan and Janamejayan also made pilgrimages here. Therefore, it can be seen that it was a sacred place long before the time of Krishna.
- The message that Prabhas was at the confluence of the Saraswati. And the sea several times in the Mahabharata is clearly stated. After the end of the Bharat War, the Yadavas fought among themselves under the influence of alcohol.
- Only Lord Krishna and Lord Balarama remained. Krishnavataram was complete when the arrow of a hunter mistake for a deer fell on Krishna who was sleeping there. Thus the place where Krishna swam his body is Balakadirtha in Somnath Temple. Here the three rivers Haryana, Saraswati and Kapila converge with the sea.
SIGNIFICANCE OF SOMNATH TEMPLE:
- Dakshan gave his 27 women in marriage to Chandra. Among them Rohini was the only one who like the moon and the other women appeal to her father. So Vekunta Dakshan cursed the arts of the moon to wear off. In that case, Lord Shiva alone gave him refuge, accepted the crescent moon and blessed the arts to grow again once in 15 days. Prabhas says that this is the place where the moon worships the Lord. It was the first Swami to have the name Somnath. Urum became Somnath.
- Somnath is the symbol of the rise of our Dharma. The temple, which has been repeatedly looted by thugs, is once again standing majestically.
- We know from the Puranas that Nagas lived in the underworld. Legend has it that the river Saraswati merges into the sea with three types of fire. The Purana also describes the connection between the Naga world and Somnath. Worship of Shiva was predominant during the reign of the Naga Bharasivars.
- The temple was well maintain during the Gupta Empire. Prabhas was famous in the Gupta Empire with Junagadh as its capital. A village was give to maintain Somnath. Thus this temple came from a high position for about two hundred years.
HISTORY OF SOMNATH TEMPLE:
- Historians believe that a second temple was built at Somnath (640-649 AD). During the reign of the Valabi kings after the Guptas’ rule, and that the old inscriptions then disappear. The womb of the second temple was erect on the spot where the first temple was. A barrier was build to prevent the sea from entering.
- During the reign of King Darasena IV, the region became a multinational port. In 722 AD, the Chalukyas who ruled Badami became the Valapi government. It was around this time (AD 711) that the view of the Arabs fell on India. The Arab army advanced through the Indus Valley, conquered Mar war, Broch, Ujjain and Malwa. They defeated the Saurashtra king and brought it under his rule.
- AD When Arab forces attempt to enter in 731 – 738. They were repulsed by the Chalukyas king Pulicaci. The forces that encircl Saurashtra. It reach Ujjain were chased away by the Nagapatta king of the Pratihara dynasty. Historians believe that this was the third time that the Somnath Temple was built. AD Gujarat flourished during the reign of Bhoja Raja in 1019. Bhoja Raja, a devotee of Shiva, built many temples.
- AD On January 6, 1026, Ghajini Mohammad’s Mughal forces came here and destroyed the temple. The original lingam was broken by Ghajini. The precious ornaments of the temple were loot. Boys and girls were abduct.
- Later the king of Junagadh, Ajmer Malwa, rebuilt the temple. However, in the year 1229 AD, the temple was attack by the forces of Sultan Allauddin Khilji of Delhi. Jyotirlinga was broken. Later Raja Ravanvar rebuilt the temple and established the Shivalingam.
SOMNATH TEMPLE IMPORTANCE:
- The Somnath temple was loot after the inauguration of the son of Qiyasuddin Tughlaq. Later, Prabhas and the kings of Junagadh together drove out the Delhi army rebuilt the Somnath temple and consecrated the Shivalinga.
- But the Somnath temple was loot for the fourth time by Jaber Khan. In 1377, Raja Bajadi renovated the temple. The temple was loot for the fifth time after the demolition of Jaber Khan. Yet the Hindus went there and performed Puja.
- Unable to bear this, Jabarkan entered the temple, broke the Shiva lingam, and prevented the Puja from taking place. In 1415 AD, Ahmad Shah decreed that no part of the temple should exist. This was follow by King Junagadh in AD. He rebuilt the temple for five years from 1451 and dedicated it to Lord Shiva.
- AD In 1490 Prabhas was again loot. Countless temples were destroy. Worship of Hindu idols was banned. Thus the heartbroken Hindus worshiped the river Saraswati as their lord. AD The area was invaded by the Portuguese in 1547. Under Akbar, the situation was somewhat under control.
- AD Aurangzeb, who came here with Abdul Khan in 1665. First killed one of the Anandas and a cow and invaded Somnath. AD In 1704, Aurangzeb again ordered the invasion of Somnath. In the year 1786, Empress Agalya Bai of Indore rebuilt the Somnath Temple and dedicated it to Lord Shiva.
- The Somnath Temple Foundation was start by Sardar Vallabhai Patel, the Iron Man of India. Jamnagar Raja Dig Vijay Singh was appoint its chairman.
- Sardar Patel was also instrumental in reviving the Somnath Temple. KM Munshi also said that Hindus are forever indebted to them. Lord Krishna is hunch over from where he swam towards the sea. It seemed to him at that time that the dream of building a temple there again would not come true easily.
- Despite the denial of government assistance by Gandhi and Nehru to build the temple, the two established a trust and built the temple and gained immortal fame. A statue of Sardar Patel can erect towards the Somnath Temple as a token of gratitude. Mr. Munshi through their excavations, Well considered by the engineers. They also helped to build such a beautiful temple. Their wonderful book “Samantha the shrine eternal” was publish.
- In the sculptures found in Mogansataro, Lord Shiva is depict as a Hatyogi. The Laguliser sculpture at Somnath shows the same. Somnath Temple has been the center of Basupada worship all over India. Among the Basupada priests was a second-century Lucliser who appeared near the town of Broch on the banks of the Narmada. Who is count as the form of Shiva. Basupada Acharya Soma Sharma came and stayed at Prabhas Theertham with his four sons. So AD. The temple at Somnath dates back to the first century.
- The book Somavidya and the Skanda Maha Purana refer to the Saraswati River here on the Monday of the new moon. The sea bath and the vision of Soma Nathar as very sacred. The waves are gathering in the sea at Pana Ganga to embrace the two Shivalinga. Like visiting Kasi Rameswaram, Hindus should visit the Somnath Jyotirlinga at least once in their lives. Devotees throng on Karthika Mondays and Mahasivarathri days.